Rates Rebate

You may be eligible for a rates rebate. A rates rebate is a scheme in which the Government pays up to $610 off your rates. The scheme is designed to help low income ratepayers with their rates bills.


Am I eligible?

If you can answer ‘yes’ to all the following questions then you may be eligible for a rates rebate:

Is your total household income from all sources less than $24,440 (including spouse, If you earned more than this, you might still be eligible)
Do you pay the rates on the address you live at?
Were you living there at 1 July 2016?
Is your name on the rates bill?
If you have dependants living at home, your income can be $500 above the limit for each dependent.

If you are a beneficial owner under a will or trust you may be eligible, but will be required to provide evidence of this.

More detailed information about the criteria is available from the Department of Internal Affairs website.


How much am I eligible for?

If you think you are eligible for a rates rebate, you can use the Department of Internal Affairs calculator on their website to determine the level of your potential rebate. Access the calculator.


How do I apply?

You can either:

  • Download an application form 
  • Pick up an application form from the Council Office or
  • Call us on 07 873 4000 and we can post a form out to you.

As well as a completed form, you will need to provide:

  • Otorohanga District Council and Waikato Regional Council rates notices for the 2016/2017 year.
  • Proof of income for the 2015/2016 year.

Potential Proof of Income could include:

  • An IRD summary of earnings
  • A certificate of earnings from your employer.
  • Statement of Interest from your bank
  • Details of share dividends
  • Copy of your audited accounts if you are self employed; or
  • Any combination of the above.

Once completed, you can return the form to the Council either by:

  • Posting it to the Council; or
  • Come in and see a staff member.

Once your rebate has been processed, Council will inform you of this in writing. The payment will be applied against your rates account, or a refund will be made if you have already paid your rates in full.