Council licences and regulates certain activities relating to public health to ensure that they are conducted in accordance with appropriate standards in order to mitigate any adverse effects on community health, safety and general wellbeing.

Activities which require such Council Licenses are:

  • Operation of premises where food is prepared for consumption
  • Selling items in public places or from vehicles (requires Hawkers or mobile traders licence)
  • Funeral directors
  • Offensive trades (activities likely to produce offensive odours and/or health risk)
  • Hairdressers and barbers (in some circumstances)
  • Discharge of Trade Waste into a council sewer or stormwater drain


Operation of Food Premises

Food Safety Requirements

The Food Act 2014 came into force on 1 March 2016 and takes a risk-management approach to food.  Similarly, new Food Regulations 2015 also came into force on 1 March 2016, coinciding with the start of a three-year transition period for food businesses, ending on 28 February 2019.  At the end of the three years, all food businesses will be operating risk-management based systems to ensure food is safe and suitable for human consumption.

The Food Act applies to all businesses that make, sell, grow, transport, or trade in food.  It also applies to businesses that serve food like school canteens and clubs.

The following link opens in a new window.

Find more information about the new Food Act on the Ministry for Primary Industries website.

Please direct questions to MPI on its food safety helpline – 0800 693 721 or by email at  You may also contact an Environmental Health Officer at Otorohanga District Council on 07 873 4000.

­­­You may also contact an Environmental Health Officer at Otorohanga District Council on 07 873 4000.


Registration of Food Businesses

Local councils will have a role in the registration of food businesses and keeping a record of food businesses selling food the type of food sold, where the businesses are located etc.  Registration with the local authority will be required yearly, and local authorities will issue Certificates of Registration under the Food Act 2014 subject to an annual fee.  Food activities subject to registration will include those operating template Food Control Plans and National Programmes (Levels 3, 2 and 1).  Operators of custom Food Control Plans will be required to register with the Ministry of Primary Industries (MPI) directly.


Liquor Licensing

In order to sell alcohol to the public, a licence issued in accordance with the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 is required, and in most cases the licensed premises must be operated by a qualified and certificated manager. This requirement holds for all venues, from a tavern to a one-off event. Licenses to sell alcohol are not transferable so if you take over or purchase another business a new licence application must be made.

Otorohanga District Council has appointed a District Licensing Committee under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012. This Committee has been given delegated authority by the Council to receive, process, investigate and determine all applications for licenses and managers certificates within its area. The Otorohanga District Licensing Inspector, in conjunction with the Police and the Medical Officer of Health, also deals with the reporting, monitoring and enforcement of the requirements of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012.

It is a requirement of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 that all applicants for a Managers Certificate must hold a prescribed qualification such as the licence controllers qualification (LCQ). For more information go to the Hospitality Standards Institute website at

Fees for liquor licence and managers certificate applications are set by regulation under the Act. See Liquor Licencing – Fees and Charges

See our Council Forms page for application forms.

Annual Report to Regulatory and Licensing Authority 2015-16


Other Licensing

Local authorities have a statutory responsibility to improve, protect and promote public health, including the registration and inspection of a number of different types of premises such as:

  • Hairdressers and Barbers (Health (Hairdressers) Regulations 1980)
  • Funeral Directors and Mortuaries (Health (Burial) Regulations 1946)
  • Offensive Trades (Health Act 1956)
  • Mobile and Traveling Shops, Hawkers and Itinerant Traders (Bylaws)

Operators of any of the above are required to comply with the relevant regulations. Council's Environmental Health Officer can provide more information on these requirements.

See our Council Forms page for application forms.