We manage two cemeteries within the district, one in the Otorohanga urban area and one in Kawhia.

  • Otorohanga Cemetery is located at 2 Karaka Road, Otorohanga
  • Kawhia Cemetery is located at Lake Road, Kawhia


Arranging a Funeral

Generally, you should contact a funeral director to arrange a burial or cremation.


Searching Cemetery Records

Online searching of the cemetery database is available here.

Records are also available for searching at the Council offices in Otorohanga. We are also able to provide information to people if requested free of charge, however for large volumes of information a small fee may apply. This information can be requested either by calling us or emailing.


Cemetery and Headstone Maintenance

Maintenance and Sexton duties are provided by the Community Facilities contractor and responsibilities include keeping the cemeteries in a tidy and presentable manner, as well as managing burials.

Cemetery maintenance, including lawn mowing, is provided on all plots in cemeteries; however headstones and tombstone tops are the responsibility of families.

Headstone and Plaque Dimensions


Burial Berm base                                900mm x 350mm

New Children’s Section base              900mm x 330mm

Ash Berm base                                   570mm x 300mm

Ash Wall plaque                                  305mm x 115mm


Burial Berm base                                900mm x 350mm

Ash Wall Plaque                                  358mm x 165mm

Services Cemeteries                         Refer to RSA Memorial Handbook


Memorial and Floral Tributes

A funeral director can advise you on the headstone and monument options available.

Floral tributes and adornments are permitted on the memorial headstone bases only in the lawn areas of the Otorohanga and Kawhia cemeteries. Adornments and tomb tops are permitted in the old tomb top areas of the districts cemeteries.


Returned Services Areas

Services areas are available to those who have returned from active service. These areas are administered on behalf of the Veterans Affairs Department. For information on rules and eligibility contact the council or your local Returned Servicemen's Association (RSA).